Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Juan Carlos Delgado’s Recent Exhibition

I love this exhibit. I love how the ice manages to change and shape the sculptures giving them entirely new meaning. The original piece, without the ice, reminds me of youth, peace, and serenity yet when it starts to ice over, it changes. The end picture, showing the sculpture almost completely iced over, looks like an old woman with regrets and sadness etched all over her face. Yet, what I like even more than the fact that the piece changes is that the pictures that are on the website probably look nothing like how the piece may look now. It is ever changing and developing.
I also like the piece with the frozen over bars. The first time I saw this it made me think of an awesome piece of performance art that could be made from this piece’s inspiration. If someone were to freeze ice that looks just like bars of a prison. Symbolizing the cold, unforgiving nature of prison. Then completely shatter the ice bars. Which could then symbolize the shattering of the lives of the loved ones of these prisoners. It could also symbolize the shattering effects of a prison sentence of that prisoner’s life when he/she gets out. Or it could also represent the inability of bars to keep faith, hope, and ideas from the prisoners. If I thought deeper I’m sure I could find much more meaning behind a possible piece like this. Such as the prison behind the bars could be completely symbolic itself and stand for the bars that people tend to put up around themselves. And building upon that, they wouldn’t have to be shattered they could be allowed to slowly melt away. I have lots of ideas on a piece like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment