Wednesday, September 7, 2011

August 31 2011 Lecture

I really enjoy learning about art history because it enables us to see where everything came from. I believe in a postmodern world where everything has been created before and through appropriation we can acknowledge the past and build upon it to respond on the present.
                One thing that I learned in class that I didn’t know before, which seems so obvious now, is the correlation between discovering gold in the Americas and the Baroque period in Europe. It makes sense that with the abundance of gold, lavish decorative style would emerge. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the saturated baroque style but it is undeniable that there is beauty there.
                I also really enjoyed the section of the lecture on music because I took a music history class this summer and it builds upon everything I learned in that class. Music can be mathematical and that still intrigues me. Although I wish we would have listened to the Fugue no2 in C minor instead because you can trace the mathematical patterns and games that Bach plays in the Fugue. Overall very interesting and informative lecture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment